The History of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Virginia
The Boys Club of Norfolk was chartered in 1919 with the help of the Norfolk Rotary Club. There were 8 charter members, including Harry Sandler, Jimmy Mastracco, Christopher and George Scordos, David Gershon and Meyer Cohen. The Club opened in the St. Paul’s Parish House on Church Street.
In 1949, the Colonial Boys Club opened on the corner of Colonial Avenue and 26th Street in Norfolk. The W.W. Houston Memorial Club opened in 1967 near the Norfolk International Airport. In 1974 the Virginia Beach Boys Club was chartered.
In 1990 Boys Clubs of America took a big step forward by admitting girls and changed the name of the organization to Boys & Girls Clubs of America. In 1993 Boys Clubs of Norfolk changed its name to Boys & Girls Clubs of South Hampton Roads.
In 2003, we changed our name again to Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Virginia, to better reflect the larger geographic area we serve. From 1998 to 2003, we expanded our service area from South Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and Suffolk) to the Eastern Shore in the town of Exmore and to the City of Franklin.
Today we serve nearly 2,800 members in 11 Clubs throughout 7 cities in Southeast Virginia.
In celebration of 100 Years, we would like you to join the movement and become a Century Donor. We envision 100 more years of impacting the youth in Hampton Roads through our dynamic programming that is vital to the overall success of our members.
Click the image to change a life!